The Glen Ban School Collection consists of approximately 50 digital copies of the photographic collection and autograph book of former Glen Ban pupil Joan Miles (nee Dawson). The images were kindly made available to Laois Local Studies by Len Hodkinson, Joan’s son-in-law.
The school was established by Miss Cora Mercier and eventually settled in Glen Ban, just outside the town of Abbeyleix. The school was a private boarding school for young ladies and catered for more than sixty. In an advertisement appearing in the Irish Express in 1933 the school is described as being on 34 acres with a swimming pool and a riding school. The school eventually relocated to Dundrum in Dublin.
The collection includes images of pupils, staff and school buildings during the years from 1936 to 1940, when Joan attended the school. Names of individuals photographed are recorded in many cases. The collection also contains images of Joan’s autograph book, with many entries by fellow students and friends.